Monday, June 17, 2013

Pre-Departure Orientation Getting Closer!

As June 26 approaches, my excitement is rapidly growing! That Wednesday, I will depart from Houston at 11:54 and reach the nation's capital later that day. For three days, I will spend time with my friends and fellow travelers from the IPSE (see earlier post) while learning about the specifics of our journey and our mission. We will stay at the same National 4H Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland that we stayed in during the IPSE. However, our agenda will be much busier and specific to our host countries. In addition to workshops at the 4H center, our group will be visiting the Department of State and the Lincoln Memorial on Thursday!! Moreover, I will get to visit the Malaysian embassy on Thursday morning along with my fellow travelers to Malaysia. I really cannot wait until the PDO!!

I've also started to pick up on some terms, vocabulary, and grammar in Malay. The language is actually very fascinating and uses the Latin alphabet (which makes learning the language a lot easier). Also known as Bahasa Melayu, "old Malay" dates back to about the 4th century, when Sanskrit influences from India brought about a new style of language. Anyways, I've learned vocabulary regarding family members, common household objects, colors, qualities, quantities, and sizes.


Finally, I'm "patiently" anticipating my host family info, which I expect to receive in the next week or so. Once I learn who my host parents and siblings are, I will also know what my host parents do, where they live, and what my host siblings are like. It's unbelievable, but my international departure is a month from yesterday! I will be leaving from Los Angeles, California on July 16 around 11:55 P.M. and will reach Hong Kong on July 18 around 5:45 A.M. (due to my crossing the International Date Line sometime in between). Then, I will leave Hong Kong around 8:40 A.M. and reach Kuala Lumpur International Airport around 12:30 P.M. Needless to say, I'm so excited to learn about and meet my host family and school!


I will post about my host family if I learn about my host parents and siblings before the PDO. If not, I will post sometime during or after the PDO. Jumpa lagi (see you later)!

No comments:

Post a Comment