Monday, July 15, 2013

At Gateway Orientation

Tonight, as I am struggling to fall asleep in my room in an LA hotel, I am spending my last night in the country for a year. The last 5 days, I have spent time with my dad and brother touring the city, visiting Universal Studios, and spending time with my cousins in the region. We all had a lot of fun and were able to have a great time in the U.S. before the orientation today and tomorrow. Today, our group of 9 students going to Malaysia (7 through the YES Abroad program and 2 through the British Petroleum program) met and talked about cultural resources, cultural norms, and other facets of Malaysian culture. Tomorrow, we plan to visit Hollywood and eat one last meal at an American restaurant before leaving for the airport. I'll try to do one more post tomorrow before departure, but if not, this will be the last post  make in the U.S. for this year. I've really enjoyed getting ready for this program, and the time is finally here! Thanks to everyone who has supported me: my family, friends, YES Abroad and AFS staff and volunteers, and anyone else who has played a part in my preparation for this amazing experience! I'm going to make the best of it and come back a different individual with more cultural knowledge and experience behind me! I can't wait until tomorrow night!

My brother and I in front of the Chinese theater

My brother and I in front of the Universal Globe at Universal Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment