Monday, August 12, 2013

Exploring Gua Tempurung ("Coconut Cave")

Written on Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:44 PM

Selemat petang!

I expected for the days after Hari Raya to be relatively free of any planned trips or activities. Yesterday, however, my host family took me to Gua Tempurung (means something like "Coconut Cave"), a famous tourist attraction in a small town outside Ipoh called Gopeng. There, I got to venture into humongous caves with rivers and lakes inside. After crawling through tunnels with small rivers running through and low "ceilings" (maybe a 2 feet distance between the bottom and top of the tunnels), we exited the cave system, soaked and exhausted but glad we went through. Gua Tempurung is Peninsular Malaysia's largest cave and is between 250 and 400 million years old. A lot of foreigners (I met people from England, the Netherlands, and France there) visit Gua Tempurung on a daily basis.

There's not much I can describe with words, but I'm posting some of the pictures of the caves to show you how cool this experience was. Some of the pictures are kinda dull and dark since I was in a dimly lit cave. This experience is definitely one I would recommend to anyone visiting Malaysia!

Selemat jalan!

Anirudh

The entrance to the cave system

A stalagmite in the cave

Some littering in the opening to the cave

A stalactite in the cave


Me in front of the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment