Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chinese Mooncake Festival!

This past Sunday was really a blast! That day, I got to experience the Chinese mooncake festival in action. I’ve heard about this festival faintly, but I've never had the chance to see what the festival is like. Mooncakes are circular cakes which represent unity within a group of family members and friends.


Three various types and flavors of mooncakes

I went to Tapah Road, a small town south of Ipoh, to stay with a Chinese host family and celebrate with them. While I was there, I got to try out a variety of cakes (sangat sedap!!) and then light Chinese lanterns to see their amazing visual effect. We celebrated only Sunday night, but I had a great time! I’m really grateful for the family letting me stay in their house (especially since they were already hosting another AFS student) and giving me the chance to see the festival take place.



A Chinese lantern

Setting candles with the family there

A "candle campfire"

No comments:

Post a Comment