Thursday, March 6, 2014

Back to JB

As the title of the post suggests, I am indeed returning to visit Johor Bahru in the upcoming days. As part of my program, students are supposed to explore new parts of Malaysia and its culture for two weeks in March. For the yearlong students studying in Malaysia there were 5 locations for this short-term exchange (STE): the city of JB in the southmost part of the country, the cities of Kuantan and Kuala Terengganu on the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the state of Perlis in the northwestern corner of the country, and orang asli settlements in my own host state of Perak.

As I mentioned before, I have been to JB back in late January and early February, but my stop in JB was only for a few days and served mostly as a brief sojourn on the way to Singapore. This time around, I want to visit interesting places in JB and learn more about Johorian lifestyle and culture. I believe that Johor Bahru is a very intriguing city, as it is at a different location and has a different culture than does Ipoh. JB is also a bigger city than is Ipoh, so it will be interesting to live in a more metropolitan area for a few weeks.

I'm already looking forward to exploring the tourist locations and points of interest of JB. I've heard positive feedback regarding Legoland Malaysia and Danga Bay in JB, and I'm really hoping to see the Arulmigu Sri Rajakaliamman Glass Temple, which is one of the oldest Hindu temples in JB and is made out of glass. The description on Wikipedia is pretty interesting, but I'm sure visiting the temple will be even more amazing!

I haven't made any real plans yet, but I'm hoping to enjoy the two weeks I spend down in the southern part of Malaysia. I hope I can experience life in a big Malaysian city and see many cool attractions and interesting locations in Johor. I know that this will be a wonderful experience, and I simply cannot wait until the STE begins!

Jumpa lagi,

Anirudh 

No comments:

Post a Comment